Can I sue someone for defamation if they post naked pics of me on the internet?

April 25, 2011

Question by C: Can I sue someone for defamation if they post naked pics of me on the internet?
Ex-bf is planning to send naked pics to my place of employment and post them on the internet. Can I sue him for this? Better yet, how can I prevent this from happening?
Actually, I didn’t know these pictures were being taken. I was on webcam and they are screen shots of me. Stupid still? Yes, absolutely. However, I have no proof because he stole my yahoo account with a password cracker, taking all of my archives.
Perhaps I should contact an Internet defamation lawyer for consultatin.

Best answer:

Answer by tony L
That more like sexual harassment or something i think you can. Definitely need to talk to an Internet lawyer.

What do you think? Answer below!

Tags: , , , ,

12 Responses to Can I sue someone for defamation if they post naked pics of me on the internet?

  1. hookem_hornz on April 24, 2011 at 9:20 pm

    Can’t sue him for defamation unless they aren’t pictures of you.

    Best way to prevent this stuff from happening is to quit letting boys take naked pics of you.

  2. mo on April 24, 2011 at 9:37 pm

    Don’t allow naked photos of yourself to be taken. And technically you allowed the photos to be taken, so what is he defaming? You might be able to sue for publication of your property, not sure about that one though.

  3. Cocker S on April 24, 2011 at 10:37 pm

    Sure, have your lawyer call him. Or have your friend call him and say that it’s the lawyer calling.

  4. strawberry on April 24, 2011 at 11:03 pm


  5. nufan916 on April 24, 2011 at 11:10 pm

    You could sue him… but at that point the damage is done. I’m not sure how you could go about getting the pictures back from him because he seems like a huge jerk (since he’s threatening to do this in the first place). Try being nice to him and see if he’ll give the pictures back to you … and pray that he hasn’t already made copies.

  6. mylilsims on April 24, 2011 at 11:19 pm

    The only way that he could get in trouble is if in fact you were under age. Than it would be classified as Child porn and be really illegal and he could get in big trouble.

    However if you were an adult when they were taken they were sadly just a poor choice on your part and sadly you could try pressing charges for harassment, maybe some stalking if you work it right. but i do not see anything else
    Now IF in fact he sent them and you lost your job and the company said it was due to the pictures you were fired you can take him to small claims court and get him as you could show loss on your part due to his actions.

  7. Nick D on April 24, 2011 at 11:48 pm

    Not really sure if you can sue him or not…BUT just have your lawyer give him a call and talk a bunch of legal crap (whether its all really true of not) about how he’ll end up in court for years and when its all said and done he will be serving serious time in jail and his reputation will be ruined. Once he heres that from a lawyer he probably won’t bother even taking the risk. Thats my opinion……

  8. raichasays on April 25, 2011 at 12:05 am

    The best way to prevent this from happening is to never allow naked pictures to be in a boyfriend’s possession in the first place.

    To prevent it now, you have to file a lawsuit alleging invasion of privacy and ask for an injunction.

  9. Anthony on April 25, 2011 at 12:37 am

    Stupid Americans….

  10. Brian A on April 25, 2011 at 12:57 am

    Lots of great advice here…..if you happen to have a time machine.

    I agree with the answer to have your lawyer give him a call and/or send him a certified letter letting him know the consequences of sending those pictures. It will probably cost you a couple hundred $ ‘s but it may be worth it to you.

  11. restored386 on April 25, 2011 at 1:08 am

    you could try, but whether you would be likely to have any success is another matter, the big thing you could argue is that it was to hurt you

    you should consult a lawyer, and then call your bf and give the lawyers name, even if the lawyer can’t legally do anything, just that you have one may scare your bf enough

  12. Sandra M on April 25, 2011 at 1:25 am

    Go to the police and tell them about it. Also yes you can sue him for that if he posts them. You can also file an unlawful detainer and take him to court and explain to the judge that he has naked photos of you and see if they will make him give them back.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *